Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Magical Society: India?

As some of you may know, Expeditious Retreat Press first started out back in 2003 with A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, a book about how to design a medieval-esque background for your game. We won a lot of awards for that book and last night I got hit with the bug to start a new book about how to add an Indian background to your game.

Suzi and I have traveled to India twice, once for 6 weeks and a second time for about 4 months. Its a place both of us love: crazy, beautiful, ugly, amazing. It will bowl you over. I think I've been missing it a bit lately, and I saw Daily Life in Ancient India on the shelf and I just got inspired to write the new Magical Society book. We've toyed with the idea several times, but Magical Society books are a bitch-and-a-half to write as they take a lot of time and effort to do right.

So, now I have to begin the reading on the period. I've read quite a bit already, but it's one thing to read for personal understanding and quite another to read with the intent to explain to others. But it'll be nice. When I don't feel like working on Sorcery & Super Science! or on any of our OSR stuff, or on our Pathfinder stuff, I'll have an additional outlet.

4 comments:

Jeffrey Runokivi said...

Wow, that would be cool. I am definitely interested in this.

jgbrowning said...

I'm looking forward to it. I've been doing a lot of reading for a Castle-oriented book, but my heart just wasn't into it at the moment like it seems to be with India.

grodog said...

That sounds great, Joe: the Indian culture and mythology is a rich background to be able to game in! :D

Allan.

Anonymous said...

Excellent!

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP