Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Wielding the Red Pen

One of the things I hate the most about layout is that I occasionally have to cut out some material that the author has provided. In this case, I'm talking about some "How to get the module started?" ideas at the beginning of an Advanced Adventure. I'd love to leave them in, but doing such would require coming up with 3 more pages of material to make the pagination come out because you have to print in pages divisible by 4. (ie. I can do 12 or 16 pages, but nothing in between).

This means that good, useable material gets cut because I'm even more uncomfortable with expanding the size of a module - both in terms of author vision and customer satisfaction. Now you all know why some modules have advertisements in the back: it's for when I came in a page or two short of an even 4.

4 comments:

Gothridge Manor said...

I know that quandary well. I just received both Advanced Adventure Compendiums last weekend...great stuff. I'll be doing a review of them. That red pen has served you well.

jgbrowning said...

Glad to hear you liked 'em!

Anonymous said...

Joseph, I'm glad you think like the publisher you are. As someone who buys (and prints) more pdfs than hard copy products, I am constantly annoyed and disappointed that people, some with much hobby publishing experience, continue to produce pdfs without thinking like a publisher and so making life difficult for the home printer. Keeping the product page count divisible by 4 is a simple concept, but more often than not overlooked.

jgbrowning said...

Thanks for the kind words, David.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP