Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Mechanics of Publishing

Last post I talked about how I was switching gears from Classified to OSRIC to recharge the battery a bit in regards to Classified. Well, the switch didn't work. I wasn't very creative with OSRIC either, which presents the greater problem of the creative: Creative Exhaustion. And by that I don't mean "burnout," I mean more like I've been pulling water from the well to quickly and it's running low.

I've experienced this several times in the decade I've been working as a creative and its on days like this that I'm glad I'm also publishing. By not being a full-time creative, I have the opportunity to step back and do some of the mechanical parts of publishing that I don't like to do when I *am* feeling creative: layout, uploading, planning, etc.

I'm thankful I'm not working for someone else as a creative. If I was, I'd have to figure out a way of digging a deeper well that can deal with the outflows or else I'd face real burnout as opposed to a low-water period.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're actually in a good position Joseph. A lot of creatives are crap at publishing and either do a bad job, or have to rely on others to do it for them, often with inconsistent results.

Others are great at publishing but not so strong on the creative front. These people tend to produce a couple of really promising items and then grind to a halt, much to everyone's disappointment. I think many of these people mistakenly believe that the act of publishing will get their creative juices flowing.

Being strong in both areas means you can keep the momentum going, something that is important for building a loyal customer base and interest.

jgbrowning said...

I wouldn't say I'm strong in both, but I'm at least competent. :-)

Unknown said...

I know the feeling well. Sometimes you just have to do something else for a while.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP